ShowBiz & Sports Lifestyle

Hot

Suspect dead, bystander wounded after gunfire near White House: Secret Service

Suspect dead, bystander wounded after gunfire near White House: Secret Service

SELINA WANG, LUKE BARR, JACK DATE and IVAN PEREIRASun, May 24, 2026 at 5:36 PM UTC

4

The Secret Service said officers shot and killed an armed man who opened fire at a White House checkpoint Saturday evening.

A bystander was also struck by gunfire in the incident, but it was not immediately clear how, the Secret Service said.

The suspect was identified as as Nasire Best, 21, of Dundalk, Maryland, according to Washington, D.C.'s Metropolitan Police Department.

Best allegedly walked up to the checkpoint in the area of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW around 6 p.m., removed a weapon from a bag and began firing at the officers posted there, the Secret Service said.

Nathan Howard/Reuters - PHOTO: A member of the U.S. Secret Service watches holding his weapon after alleged gunshots were heard nearby, at the White House in Washington

"Secret Service police officers returned fire, striking the suspect, who was transported to an area hospital, where he later died," the Secret Service said in a statement.

Regarding the bystander who was struck, the Secret Service said: "It remains unclear whether the bystander was struck by the suspect's initial gunfire or during the subsequent exchange of gunfire."

There was no immediate word on the bystander's condition.

Kylie Cooper/Reuters - PHOTO: Alleged gunshots heard nearby, at the White House in Washington

No Secret Service members were hurt during the incident, which is still under investigation.

President Donald Trump praised law enforcement for their response, writing on social media, "Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House, who had a violent history and possible obsession with our Country’s most cherished structure."

Advertisement

Trump added, "The gunman is dead after an exchange of gunfire with Secret Service Agents near the White House gates. This event is one month removed from the White House Correspondent’s Dinner shooting, and goes to show how important it is, for all future Presidents, to get, what will be, the most safe and secure space of its kind ever built in Washington, D.C. The National Security of our Country demands it!"

What we know about the alleged suspect

Nasire Best, the 21-year-old shooting suspect, was known to the Secret Service, multiple officials told ABC News.

Courts records indicate that the suspect had a stay-away order from the White House put in place on July 11, 2025. He had been arrested the day before the shooting after attempting to get into the White House and get past a security checkpoint, according to a court record. He told officers he was "Jesus Christ" and allegedly told officers he wanted to get arrested.

In a separate incident on June 26, Best was involuntary committed, according to the same court record.

Alex Wroblewski/AFP via Getty Images - PHOTO: US-POLITICS-CRIME-WHITE HOUSEReporters told to run for cover

At the time of the shooting, Trump was in the Oval Office working with aides Steven Cheung, Natalie Harp, Margo Martin and others, according to a White House Official.

Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images - PHOTO: US-POLITICS-CRIME-WHITE HOUSE

ABC News' Selina Wang was filming a piece for social media platforms at the White House when the apparent gun shots sounded. She and crew members quickly ducked for cover.

FBI Director Kash Patel said in an X post that the agency was on scene and assisting the Secret Service.

"We will update the public as we're able," Patel said.

Alex Wroblewski/AFP via Getty Images - PHOTO: US-POLITICS-CRIME-WHITE HOUSE

When the gunshots sounded, reporters were told to sprint into the White House Press Briefing Room.

Nathan Howard/Reuters - PHOTO: A U.S. Secret Service agent runs after alleged gunshots were heard nearby, at the White House in Washington

ABC News' Pierre Thomas, Josh Margolin, Aaron Katersky, Rebecca Gelpi-Ufret and Beatrice Peterson contributed to this report.

Original Article on Source

Source: “AOL Breaking”

We do not use cookies and do not collect personal data. Just news.